Volunteer school garden project
Orchard School Volunteer in Africa (1 vacancy)
We are looking for a volunteer to live for a year in a rural village in Zambia developing a school garden project, to teach agricultural techniques and improve the availability of food for the population of Sichili. We currently have a piece of land to make the garden and we have begun to collect data to be able to measure the impact of the project.
We are a non-profit organization, made up of doctors, agronomists, nutritionists and other professionals, whose objective is to improve the quality of life of African communities, according to the needs of each place, focusing especially on improving the quality of health. We seek to maintain a work of respect, work and learning with other cultures.
¡If you are looking to make an impact in the world and an experience that changes your life and the lives of others, this opportunity is for you!
- Developing and working a garden in Sichili, Zambia.
- Identify the species to cultivate, buy the materials, hire and supervise third parties, actively participate in preparing the land, planting, harvesting and distributing the harvest.
- Act as Project Manager of the school garden project: review and improve the documents with the description of the project (objectives, indicators, activities), coordinate and resolve administrative issues, develop and manage the budget, identify risks and problems and take charge.
- Teaching agricultural techniques to the population. Work in constant coordination with the Sichili Mission Hospital, where the Foundation's medical volunteers work, to identify children with severe malnutrition, in order to focus the program on those families that need it most.
- Coordinate training for the population with food demonstrations that allow teaching how to use the new varieties of vegetables.
- Attend meetings on behalf of the Foundation and perform administrative tasks.
- Collect data to monitor and measure the impact of the project. Application of surveys to the population supported by the Foundation team that is in Chile.
- Attend virtual project coordination meetings with the Project Director and the remote support team, and other meetings that are necessary with the Foundation.
- Coordinate and carry out the necessary actions to carry out the garden project, maintain its continuity, and promote the presence of the Foundation in Zambia, representing it before authorities and other NGOs.
It is not necessary to have a professional or technical degree But if you are an agronomist, agricultural technician, veterinarian, veterinary technician, nutritionist, or amateur gardener, from the social sciences with experience in school garden projects, we especially encourage you to apply.
- Minimum intermediate level of English
- Desirable previous experience in rural development projects, demonstration of agricultural techniques or projects to improve the nutrition of the population
- Desirable experience in volunteering and working in multicultural teams
- Tolerance to frustration and extreme conditions (weather, lack of resources, etc.), flexibility and adaptation to change, ability to work in a multicultural team
- Ease of generating interpersonal relationships and being part of the Sichili community and interest in generating contact networks
- Proactivity and propose aspects of improvement for the project, creativity to look for different and innovative solutions
- Commitment to the maintenance of the house of the volunteers
- Location: Sichili, Zambia.
- Duration: One year from June 2023 (variable depending on how long the visa processing takes), including 4 weeks of vacation.
- Performance area: Agronomy and project management.
- Working Hours: Full day (many times it will exceed the Chilean working hours).).
- Conditions: unpaid volunteering . However, the Foundation finances the stay in Zambia , which includes that the volunteer will live in a house provided by the Foundation, with three other volunteers, food, transportation and internet expenses will be financed. The volunteer must pay their airfare and commit to recruiting a certain number of donors for the Foundation.
- ¿How do I apply Send us your CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- More information: https://www.entretribus.cl/pages/hazte-voluntario